8 best places for budget shopping in Delhi
Delhi , apart from being the capital of India is also known for many historical places.It also serves as a transit point if you are on a travel to the north India.
This city has excellent public transport system in the form of buses and metro rail covering most of the places of interests in Delhi.The place is also famous for its eateries and shopping bazaar's.The book lover's can shop for some of the rare books at the Daryaganj's unique footpath book market held on every Sunday.
Shopping is something which you should not miss while in Delhi.These are the popular shopping areas of this place.
1Sarojini Nagar Market
This market is especially famous for home decoration accessories, sari shops,salwaar kameez, girl's trendy fashionable clothes, leather stuffs and travel bags. The prices vary from shop to shop.
The items are not branded , so you need to have a good negotiation skill , to strike the best deal.There are also showrooms of popular brands like John players, Reebok, Duke, Adidas, Van- Heusen in this market.
This place is located near INA metro station on the yellow line.The market is open on Sunday.
- If you get hungry while shopping take a visit to the Haldiram outlet at Lane G to enjoy the typical mouth watering Dilli chat or grab a glass of juice at the juice corners to refresh yourself.
- The market gets very much crowded in the evening so it is better to shop as soon as the shops open in the morning at 11 AM onwards.
Janpath which happens to be one of the oldest market in Delhi is located in Connaught Place.The market is lined up with shops between outer circle of Connaught Place to Windsor Place.
CP is a shopping hub for people interested in buying Indian stuffs like ethnic handicrafts, colorful-trendy fashion items including tribal jewellery , jootis , and clothes.In winter you can also buy some good woolen clothes for a reasonable price here.The market is closed on Sunday.If you know the art of bargain , this place is just the place for you !
- Have patience ! , It may seem to you that items are overpriced and no bargain is done but that is not true !
- You can find original quality Pashmina Shawls from Kashmir at some of the shops here.
Tibetan Market is also known as Monastery market and is situated near Maharana Pratap Inter State Bus Terminal.It is a hot place among Delhi University students for shopping. It is famous for un-branded and low price foot wear , trendy teen clothes and college bags apart from Tibetan artifacts like statues , jewellery , semi-precious stones and tribal paintings.
Monastry is also one of the best markets in Delhi to shop winter clothes like shawls and sweaters at reasonable prices.You can bargain on price, but , not as much compared to Janpath market.The market is open on Sunday.
- You can enjoy popular Tibetan noodle soup Thukpa in restaurents like Zomsa and Shakura
- It is at a walking distance from ISBT towards GT Karnal Road !
- Monastery market's nearest metro station is Kashmiri Gate which falls both on yellow and red routes.
Gaffar market started in 1952 , houses around 500 shops.It is the unofficial grey market capital and is located near Karol Bagh. one of the best spots to buy electronic stuffs especially mobile phones ,cameras and digital goods.
This bazaar is a crowded place with narrow lanes , so be prepared , to face the traffic and human gathering.The phones not even been officially launched in India can be traced out here.The market is open on Sunday.
- You can buy the gadgets and gizmos at a lower price but they do not have a proper bill and there is no guarantee !
- Beware of the pickpockets active in this market !
5Nehru Place Market
The biggest hub in New Delhi (and perhaps in India) for software and computer and peripherals.It is located in south Delhi on the Central Secretariat to Badarpur route of Delhi Metro (violet line) .You can buy brand new or second hand pc and laptops at the lowest price here.
Pirated software’s of all kinds are a popular attraction for the buyers in this market majority of whom are college students.The place also has a number of computer and mobile repair shops.Nehru Place remains closed on Sunday.
- Computer Empire (102, Meghdoot Building) , Cost To Cost shop (G 4-5, Govardhan House) in Nehru Place are good shops to buy electronic goods at a reasonable price.
- Not all computer repair shops have good service in Nehru place.You can try Global laptop repair service , Blue Waves Infotech.
- Beware ,some so called repair shops in this market can cheat you by changing your original part by duplicate ones or even damage your computer laptop !
6Palika Bazaar Market
It is an underground air conditioned shopping hub situated in the middle of the Connaught Place near Regal cinema hall.The place houses nearly 390 shops selling stuffs ranging from fashion items to electronic gadgets.The variation in price of stuffs after a bargain is surprising and you may find a stuff for INR 200 initially was offered at INR 800 !.The market is closed on Sunday.
- Palika Bazaar is a nice place to buy musical items ranging from microphones , music system , blue ray drives to movies and songs CD's. !
- Bargaining is more effective when you are in a group in this market !
7 Ajmal Khan Road Market
This street market falls in Karol Bagh area and houses around 350 shops selling fashinable as well as traditional attires.This market has been a well known place for getting reasonably priced apparels and garments in Delhi.
You can find a large collection of inexpensive readymade garment clothes with different colour combinations and styles.The market is famous of wedding shopping especially designer lehengas sarees.These items are affordable here as it is created by the skilled local artisans imitating the designs of well known fashion designers.
Attractive suits styles like gota-patti,kundan, sequin, Swarosk emulating Manish Malhotra's designs can be well traced here.The sandals , cosmetics , tribal and artificial jewellery can also be purchased from this bazaar.
- Karol Bagh station falls on Noida City Centre to Dwarka route of Delhi metro on blue line.
8 Paharganj Market
Paharganj market is situated just opposite to platform number 1 exit of the New Delhi railway station.On the metro train route it falls on the blue line.Besides being a popular area for buget hotels , it is a shopsholics favourite destination.
You can buy baby dresses, shoes , electronic items , tribal jewellery,jackets and leather bags here at a reasonable price.Paharganj is also the market where you can find custom tailored suits and shirts for men.It is a very crowded and conjusted market.
Himanshu is blogger and an avid adventure enthusiast with a passion for travel and cultural immersion.